Dr. Patricia Luoto - John C. Stalker Institute of Food and Nutrition Scholarship
The Dr. Patricia Luoto - The John Stalker Institute of Food and Nutrition (JSI) Scholarship was established in honor of the Institute's 25th anniversary and its distinguished former director, Dr. Pat Luoto. JSI is a partnership of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Nutrition, Health and Safety and the Framingham State University's (FSU) Department of Food and Nutrition.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
One scholarship will be awarded per semester to cover the tuition of one course or $1000. Monies that provide educational assistance paid to students to aid in the pursuit of their studies qualify as taxable educational expenses. The recipient of this scholarship must submit a 1099 form to the FSU Business Office.
Who is this scholarship for?
The scholarship is available to school nutrition professionals working in public school nutrition programs in Massachusetts who are enrolled in either the Certificate in Excellence in School Nutrition Program or the Master's in Nutrition Education in the Nutrition Education Specialist program.
- Minimum of 3 years employment in a Massachusetts public school nutrition program
- Enrolled in either Certificate in Excellence in School Nutrition OR Master's in Education with a concentration of Nutrition Education Specialist
- Completion of at least one course in the program with a grade of B or better
- Not otherwise receiving tuition support from their school district or outside organization
- Students enrolled in one-credit graduate courses are not eligible
To apply for this scholarship:
- Write a letter of application describing your career in school nutrition and how the courses in the program will enhance your career progression in school nutrition.
- Complete the scholarship application. You will upload your letter of application as an attachment to the application.
- Have two letters of recommendation.
One letter must be from the school where you work.
The other letter must be from a professor who has taught a class in the program at FSU.
The recommendation letters must be submitted on organizational letterhead directly toThe John Stalker Institute
Framingham State University
100 State Street
PO Box 9101
Framingham, MA 01701-9101
or submitted via email to .
Deadlines for Application
Deadline for submission of all application materials:
- June 1st for fall semester courses
- November 1st for spring or summer semester courses
The selection committee is composed of the Director or Faculty Director of the John C. Stalker Institute, Food and Nutrition faculty member at FSU, and faculty or staff member at FSU. Anyone who donates to the Scholarship cannot be appointed to the selection committee.